01425 485194
FREE Magazines Linking Local Businesses with Local People Roundabout Verwood, Ringwood and East Dorset Villages



We started seeing a stray or feral cat wandering across our field garden near to the pond. We did not know where it had come from, but every day it would appear and stay for some time hunting. Its explorations took it into one of our greenhouses, but I did not notice and it wasn’t until I was looking for another cat gone missing that I opened the door I had closed earlier and found this poor cat in a terrible state unable to find a way out, clambering up the walls in sheer panic. Obviously I let it out, much to its relief and it ran away.

However in spite of the earlier experience, the cat decided that a heated greenhouse was a good place to sleep on a winter’s night, and we had made a hole in the door at each end of the greenhouse so that any cat locked in by mistake would always have a point of exit or escape.

This was obviously a cat with no home but one that did not welcome attention, so we made provision for it in the greenhouse, a comfy bed, toilet facilities and a tray of cat biscuits, water and of course sachets of food. All provisions and contributions were well received and nothing was wasted. Instead of just a feed at night, it became necessary to feed the cat in the morning also as we began to get the ‘Mee..ooooow’ treatment whenever we entered the greenhouse.

We called the cat ‘Molly’ and she was with us for a couple of years. Then one day when I saw her, ravenous for food, she had what could only be described as a ‘curtain of blood’ hanging like a bib from her mouth. It was alarming to say the least. I put the food down for her, and despite her obvious problem she ate all before her and asked for more.

She had to be taken to the Vet as soon as possible. I could not imagine what could be the matter. The RSPCA provided us with a catching cage and our concern for the cat increased as blood was being dripped onto the floor of the greenhouse. Overnight she did enter the catching cage for the food we had placed inside, so next morning it was straight to the Vet and as we feared, it was bad news. After examination, she was found to have a cancerous lesion in her mouth which was now bleeding, there was no solution other than for her to be put to sleep.

We had not been able to get close to her, but we had cared for her and any parting was      always with deep regret and sorrow. We had done all we could. However we have to remember her as Mr Molly, as we had failed on our gender identification!

Whenever we see the beautiful giant yellow flower of the Solandra Grandeflora we remember poor Mr Molly as he used to like sitting in its pot, and we are thankful that he did find a good home in the end.


The full story and many more are in the book “Viewed From My Window” by Patricia Oliver price £10 + £1.75 p&p. For more details, contact Patricia on 01202 826244. All proceeds go towards the Veterinary and Welfare needs of the 16 feral cats currently in her care.