01425 485194
FREE Magazines Linking Local Businesses with Local People Roundabout Verwood, Ringwood and East Dorset Villages


Viewed-from-my-window--PeeweeThe morning in question was cold and frosty, but we noticed a streak of white, as we thought, blowing across the grass. After settling for a while, it moved again. We decided to take a closer look and found it was a little kitten, maybe about 6-8 weeks old. It was white with patches of streaky grey. It was absolutely gorgeous. We tried to catch it, but without success. We continued watching as the kitten hid behind the plant pots. It was so tiny and the nights were so cold. We put out food and water as well as shelter for it in the hope it would survive the night. In the morning the food had gone but no sign of the kitten.

It took a few days but patience was rewarded and we finally caught the little kitten. We had prepared a large cage in readiness for its capture so that we could tame it and care for it, but the bed we had placed in her cage proved much too big so had to be changed for a smaller, tall, round, fluffy bed which was much better for her and she cuddled up into it looking so happy and cosy. Treatment from the Vet sorted out the fleas and other parasites which had caused her little stomach to be greatly distended. 

Every day we tried to handle and stroke her, but she was so timid. We decided to call her ‘Pee-Wee’ and she soon came around to enjoying her cuddles, but only with her new Dad as I had been the one to administer medicines and therefore I was the one to be feared. She thoroughly enjoyed playing with the toys we had given her and her favourite was a little mouse toy which she threw into the air charging after it with great excitement.

Willow, now used to her role as a surrogate Mum, took care of Pee-Wee and they cuddled up together in the cat’s cradle attached to the radiator, with the occasional game of; “If you touch my face, I’ll touch yours!” Paws flying everywhere. They became inseparable. It was quite evident soon after Pee-Wee arrived that something was wrong with her mouth. She would dive into her food as if ravenous, only to recoil with a whimper. The Vet confirmed that she was suffering with gingivitis (inflammation of the gums) and if we had not brought her in for treatment, she may well have starved. The treatment has had to be on a regular basis with injections and quite a few extractions, but we have managed to keep the condition under control and she has prospered.

Pee-Wee has remained very timid and only ventures out on a good sunny day. There is a barrel laid just outside the barn door and it faces the sun, the perfect place to sit, protected on all sides, but it allows her a chance to sunbathe in safety. She is still very small but snuggles into her cuddly bed which fits her like a glove, and absolutely no-one else is allowed to use it.

It was a good day when we found Pee-Wee and she has given us a lot of love and a great deal of pleasure. She is no trouble to us and I am sure she is having a good life in spite of her poor start. She is a survivor and has now reached the age of five years. She will continue to receive the best of medical care and I am sure she has many happy years ahead of her.


The full story and many more are in the book “Viewed From My Window” by Patricia Oliver price £10 + £1.75 p&p. For more details, contact Patricia on 01202 826244. All proceeds go towards the Veterinary and Welfare needs of the 16 feral cats currently in her care.